Liverpool vs Chelsea - Match Preview

Published on 30 January 2024 at 20:00

In yet another exciting ‘big six’ showdown set to commence on Wednesday night, Jurgen Klopp’s swan song continues as Liverpool face Chelsea at Anfield. 

Perched amongst the summit of the Premier League table, Liverpool are set to welcome their next visitor to the Merseyside fortress on Wednesday night. Mauricio Pochettino’s Chelsea, who currently reside in 9th place, will certainly seek to increase their tally of statements made against top six sides this season in their quest of returning to former glory.  


Much must be said for Chelsea’s recent spell of performances as The Blues have secured an undefeated status in four of their last five matches, a definite improvement from an abysmal 22/23 season which saw the London side suffer defeat a whopping 16 times. Hungry and looking to improve upon an embarrassing campaign, Mauricio Pochettino has already begun to make his mark on this Chelsea squad, seeing his boys off to the Carabao Cup final in Wembley against Liverpool in February. 


With opportunities for a trophy becoming increasingly real, Liverpool remains a terrifying side for any opponent to face this season, especially following the news of Jurgen Klopp’s imminent departure from Anfield in the approaching summer. The Reds, who have only lost one league game this season, would ultimately be on track to an invincible season if not for the VAR farce suffered at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium back in September. However, such injustices have not seemed to damage the Reds’ fighting spirit, with the Merseyside Giants now dubbed the ‘Mentality Monsters’ this season regarding comebacks and their respective positive results. 


Speaking at Tuesday’s pre-match press conference, Klopp gave up his opinion regarding Chelsea’s recent performances, “They play really good stuff, really good team. Nobody was ever in doubt about that. A team in form, I think. Won majority of games recently. We play them in first matchday, we weren't great but they were pretty good. A point was alright. We have to do better but we are different now.” 


The match, which will be broadcast on BT Sport and TNT Sport, commences at 8:15 on Wednesday 30th. 


The Opta Sport supercomputer has forecasted a 54.9% chance of The Reds’ securing another 3 points at Anfield, with Chelsea holding a 19.5% chance of success and a draw at 25.6% 


Written by Oisin O'Sullivan

Add comment


There are no comments yet.